Finance, Staffing and Premises Committee
Chair of the Finance, Premises and Staffing Committee - Ms Isabel Cabero
At Giffard Park Primary the ultimate employer of the school staff is the LA, however the governing body exercises employer responsibilities. Any governor involved in staff recruitment should follow the safer recruitment requirements and have attended the governor's course on this.
Giffard Park Primary has a Head teacher and a Deputy Head teacher. The Head teacher has to be recruited in conjunction with the LA, whereas the Deputy Head teacher is recruited in conjunction with the Head teacher. All other staff are the responsibility of the Head teacher, although the Head teacher may involve the chair of the staffing committee and other Governors, as appropriate.
The governing body is required to put in place and review a pay policy for all teaching staff, including that of the Head teacher and Deputy Head teacher. Performance management policies are in place and the Head teacher has an annual review with the governors performance management panel where the past year's objectives are reviewed and new ones for the following year set.
The Terms of Reference for the Staffing Committee cover the following responsibilities:
- To ensure that the governing body works within its adopted personnel policies, such as discipline, capability, grievance and redundancy.
- To contribute towards the preparation of the school development plan (SDP) and monitor progress of the implementation.
- To review teachers' salaries and those on the Leadership Scale annually.
- To review periodically the salaries of non-teaching staff.
- To adopt and review annually the Performance Management Policy and Pay Policy.
- To determine and review annually or as required with the head teacher the staffing structure for the school.
- To establish procedures for the selection and recruitment of staff (except head teacher and deputy head teacher) in accordance with the governing body's schedule of delegation.
- To participate as appropriate in the selection and recruitment of staff and to decide upon the salary of the appointee.
- To consider and adopt any new or revised personnel policies and procedures.
- To contribute to the preparation of the School Profile as required.
- To undertake with the Head teacher a termly review of the schools' personnel management to enable the school's self-evaluation form (SEF) to be kept up to date.
- To undertake any other personnel tasks as required by the governing body.
Finance and Premises
The governing body are required by the LA to approve the school budget plan each financial year. The school has a Finance Manager who reports to the Head teacher and manages the financial budget. She reports progress of actual and budgeted monies on a monthly basis to the Finance, Staffing and Premises Committee of the governing body at termly meetings.
The Terms of Reference for the Committee covers the following:
- To contribute to the preparation of the SDP as required.
- To undertake with the headteacher, a termly review of the school's financial and premises management to enable the school SEF to be updated.
- To undertake any other financial, premises or health and safety tasks as required by the governing body.
- To draw up, taking account of the SDP priorities and approve the annual budget plan for the school.
- To establish and maintain an up to date three year financial plan, taking account of projected pupil numbers.
- To monitor the school's income and expenditure throughout the year and report the financial situation to the governing body each term.
- To monitor progress of the SDP and monitor progress of the implementation of the plan.
- To make recommendations to the governing body on the level of financial delegation to the Facilities Committee in relation to the maximum value of a single transaction and the maximum value of virement.
- To make recommendations on the level of financial delegation to the head teacher in respect of expenditure and virement, in accordance with the Council's Financial Regulations contained within the LMS handbook.
- To ensure the agreed levels of delegation are recorded in writing.
- To ensure the school operates within the Council's Financial Regulations for schools.
- To ensure that an audit of voluntary funds is undertaken for presentation to the governing body.
- To receive and where appropriate respond to periodic audit reports on the school budget and other public funds administered by school staff.
- To review annually and adopt the school's charging and letting policies.
- To review periodically and adopt the school's policy on governor's expenses.
- To monitor the effect on the school of changes in the LA funding formula.
- To inspect the buildings and grounds annually and prepare an annual statement of priorities for maintenance and development.
- To contribute towards the preparation of the SDP and monitor progress on the implementation of the plan.
- To approve the costs and arrangements for maintenance, repairs and redecoration within the budget allocation.
- To monitor the maintenance, repairs and redecoration programme.
- To assist the governing body and head teacher to discharge their responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 in collaboration with the LA.
- To consider the LA's policies on Health & Safety and adopt a Health and Safety policy for the school.
- To conduct an inspection of the School's premises (ground, buildings, plant and equipment) at least once every term during school hours. The inspection team to comprise at least two Governors from the Facilities committee accompanied by the head teacher and/or caretaker.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the school's Health & Safety arrangements, including a termly review of the fire log and premises log to ensure that the School meets its statutory obligations and report at least once a year to the Governing Body.
- In conjunction with the Teaching and learning Committee, to ensure that the Governing Body's statutory duties with regard to children with special needs and in respect of Equalities and DDA legislation are met.